Alianait has 3 concerts happening this fall.
September 10 – TWIN FLAMES, brings together Inuk singer-songwriter Jaaji, from Quaqtaq and his Metis partner Chelsey June, from the Ottawa area.
October 22 – HAWKSLEY WORKMAN Canadian rock singer-songwriter critically acclaimed for his blend of cabaret pop and glam rock.
THE JERRY CANS – November 12, a much-anticipated family-friendly concert featuring Nunavut’s most popular band.
Alianait’s 12th Festival was an incredible experience, featuring circumpolar artists from Greenland, Germany (Mongolians), Nunavik, NWT and across Nunavut, a celtic trio from the Isle of Mann and some of Canada’s finest musicians from B.C., Alberta, P.E.I., Quebec and Ontario. Some festival highlights:
• The North American premiere of the National Theatre of Greenland’s production Minik.• The Big Top Tent flew the Pride flag for the first time.
• Full house for School’s Out Concert – our first nighttime show under the Big Top since 2010 with awesome performances from across the north.
• A special tribute to an incredible artist and Alianait festival veteran Etulu Aningmiuq with a video of his performance from last year’s festival.
• The Francophone community celebrated St. Jean Baptiste Day with a traditional/jazz fusion band from Montreal thanks to our partnership.
• Our largest Gospel Sing-A-Long under the Big Top featured the sounds of Inuktitut and African music.
Heartfelt thanks to our many volunteers, sponsors and funders, staff, technical team, and the awesome artists!!
Video by Gerth Lyberth