Come to Nakasuk School on Friday, February 24th at 7:30pm to celebrate the winners of Qilaut, Nunavut’s yearly Inuktut song writing contest. Concert admission is free and so are the Qilaut 2016 CDs! Support local songwriters by taking part in this amazing celebration of Inuktut children’s music.
Alianait started our 2017 season with 2 performances of NeoIndigenA featuring indigenous dancer and choreographer SANTEE SMITH on January 20 and 21.
Our next concert will feature contemporary and gospel singer-songwriter Looee Arreak at Inuksuk High School on April 1st.
Other 2017 Concerts include:
– Dan Mangan – May 20
– Tanya Tagaq – September 30
– Jenn Grant – October 7
– North – a pan territorial celebration – November 1
Alianait’s 12th Festival and Concert Series is a wrap. Our festival featured circumpolar artists from Greenland, Germany (Mongolians), Nunavik, NWT and across Nunavut, a celtic trio from the Isle of Mann and some of Canada’s finest musicians from B.C., Alberta, P.E.I., Quebec and Ontario.
Our concert season featured B.C.’s JP Maurice, Greenland’s Jens Nielsen, Jaaku Sorensen & Jaakooq Joelsen, violin virtuoso James Ehnes, Twin Flames, Hawksley Workman and The Jerry Cans.
A few highlights:
• The North American premiere of the National Theatre of Greenland’s production Minik.
• Our biggest ever Mental Health Awareness Tour brought Twin Flames to Cape Dorset, Igloolik, Rankin Inlet, Arviat and Baker Lake.
• Full house for School’s Out Concert – our first nighttime show under the Big Top since 2010 with awesome performances from across the north.
• A special tribute to an incredible artist and Alianait festival veteran Etulu Aningmiuq with a video of his performance from last year’s festival.
Heartfelt thanks to our many volunteers, sponsors and funders, staff, technical team, and the awesome artists!!
Video by Gerth Lyberth